Tuesday 9 July 2013

July Style

As a young child (6 and under) I loved clothes, I didn't identify it as such, but I knew I liked changing outfits (and I did, multiple times a day) but since girliness was something that was never encouraged in my household (I am the youngest, and only girl, with three older brothers) I never thought of myself as into "fashion". I recognize that this is a young age to be talking about fashion, but it wasn't the image that fashion conjures in your mind. I wasn't following any trends, or comparing my style of dress to anyone else's.  I was just taking genuine enjoyment out of articles of clothing.  I had my favourite items of clothing (mostly brightly patterned things, or things with pictures of animals) and I also frequently raided my older brothers' closets since I admired them and wore their clothes to emulate them. I remember then though, that I had learned to not want things that were too girly. Until recent years, I rejected contemporary style completely. I had things I liked to wear but was determined to "not be like other girls" (a desire sadly learned by many women).  In high school I deliberated styled myself to set myself apart.  Recently, I have gotten really into fashion again! I say again because I find myself using the same principles I did at that age, but with pride at being a girl and being girly.  I try not to dress to impress or get the approval of others, but in a way that brings me happiness (after all, you do look down at your own clothes all day!) I pair things together that may not go well together, but also take great delight in matching absolutely everything, perfectly.  I don't tie myself to specific styles of dress- I'm a multi-faceted person, why should my style of dress be static? Clothes can be fun! And there's no need to feel guilty or shallow for liking them, I think, as long as you're liking them for your own reasons. Like when I was 6, I am totally all for the bright colours, and loud patterns and those things can really cheer me up!
This blog wasn't particularly well thought out, and I won't even proof read, but here are some pictures of a outfit that was brightening my day a few days ago.



Speaking of matchy, I used a new blue eyeliner I bought! I never thought I would put colour on my face, but I really like it! I think it's fun.
My bangs were really grown out, so I cut myself some vulcan bangs. I like my grey hair, but it fades quickly and I'm used to having such eccentric colours that I figured I might as well play with my bangs. 


No comments:

Post a Comment